Events like accidents or a dental illness can lead to permanent tooth loss. Restorative dentistry may be the answer for those struggling with the loss of everyday tooth functions because of missing teeth. Mai Dentistry provides restorative dentistry services in St. Petersburg, FL. By helping people recover full tooth functions, our office helps them go about their day with renewed confidence.
What is Restorative Dentistry?
Restorative dentistry refers to a collection of procedures dentists perform to repair or replace damaged or missing teeth. Individuals may decide to have restorative dentistry services for many reasons, including:
- Fractured or broken teeth
- Progressive tooth decay
- Issues with teeth weakened from a previous restoration
Filling empty spaces left behind in the mouth because of missing teeth typically makes it easier for patients to maintain good oral hygiene. In addition, people often receive a boost to their self-esteem because of improvements to the look of their smiles.
What Are Some Different Types of Restorative Dentistry?
Below is an overview of some standard dental restoration procedures:
- Fillings — Dentists place amalgams or composite fillings in teeth experiencing deterioration caused by ongoing tooth decay.
- Dentures — Dentures, designed to look like natural teeth, function as a replacement for missing teeth. You can remove them as needed for eating or cleaning.
- Bridges — Bridges are made up of multiple false teeth that fill empty spaces in the mouth. They’re usually constructed from materials like porcelain, gold alloy, or a combination of the two. Dentists cement them onto anchor teeth for more security.
- Crowns — Crowns are caps constructed to resemble natural teeth. Dentists use crowns to restore tooth structures’ size, shape, and strength. In addition, they’re used to create bridges to replace missing teeth or to cover dental implants.
- Implants — An implant consists of a crown and a small metal post, usually made from titanium or a titanium alloy. The dentists place the metal post into a patient’s jawbone or socket, then attach a crown onto the base or post. Implants are an excellent option for those looking to restore the full functions of a tooth.
Restorative Dentistry Benefits
Restorative dentistry helps patients by:
- Relieving discomfort caused by chipped or cracked teeth
- Providing long-lasting dental repairs
- Improving the look of your smile
- Providing additional support to remaining dental structures
Get Treatment for Your Dental Problems
Restorative dentistry may be the solution to your issues with lost or broken teeth. Call Mai Dentistry today at 727-800-0022 to schedule an initial consultation.